Still suffering from slow wifi signal? Worry not! Here is a solution that might help you to increase the Wi-Fi speed. Generally, users have a question in their mind i.e. “How to change wireless channels on my router?” If your internet connection is slow, you can fix this issue by changing the channel of your wifi router.
There may be various reasons for slow internet connection, such as the way your router or extender is set up, interference caused by nearby devices etc. Since most home Wi-Fi networks send their signals in a narrow radio frequency range around 2.4 GHz, wireless signals get affected by the devices that share the same frequency channel.
When multiple Wi-Fi networks overlap, it can cause interference and slows down the performance of wifi connection adversely. However, you can improve the performance of wifi by manually switching to a less crowded channel or one that is not used by any other networks currently.
In this blog, we will provide you the answer for your query “How to change wireless channels on my router?” But before this, you have to identify which channels are most crowded or which wifi channel is best.
How to identify the Right Channel?
There are many ways to find the less crowded or best channel of your router. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Android Wi-Fi Analyzer App
- Linux iwlist Command
- MacOS X Wireless Diagnostics
One of the best methods for selecting the most appropriate channel is the Android Wifi Analyzer App. You need to download or install the app from Google Play store on your Android phone; it will give you an overview of the Wi-Fi networks and the channels which they are using in your area. The Wi-Fi Analyzer App will also suggest the best Wi-Fi channel for your Wi-Fi home network. You can also use the MacOS X method to scan your area for all of the Wi-Fi networks by using the Wireless Diagnostics Application.
How to change the Wi-Fi channel you’re using?
You can change the wireless channel that your router is using currently to the right channel by accessing the router’s web interface page. For example, if you’re using a Netgear router, you can change its wireless channel to increase the speed of your wifi by accessing the Netgear router’s web management page.
Here are the steps to change the wireless channel on your router:
- Launch a web browser on your PC & type default login address of your router in the browser’s address bar and press enter. The login page of your router automatically launches.
- Now, enter your router’s default username and password in the given fields. Click “Login”.
- Once you press the “Login” button, you will be redirected to the router’s web-based setup page.
- Now go to “Advanced Setup” option and select “Wireless”.
- Next, select “Advanced page” or “WLAN” option to change the channel from a drop-down menu.
- Now go to “Region” menu & select your region.
- Next, select the right channel from the “Channel” menu and click “Apply” to save the settings.
By following the above steps you have successfully change the wireless channel of your router.
We hope you will get your answer for “How to change wireless channels on my router?” If your internet is still slow after changing the wireless channel then you need to place your wifi router in the right place. If the problem still persists, dial our toll-free no or chat live with us. We will provide you with more troubleshooting tips to resolve your issue.